Saturday, June 11, 2011

The Field

Sorry it's been so long since I posted, we've been incredibly busy. We spent two days in the field doing a variety of tasks.

Day 1
We did day and night land navigation. We were dropped in the woods with a compass, topographical map, and grid coordinates. Our mission was to find 3 markers. It took us about 1.5 hours but we found each one. Our reward when we returned to the base camp was MRE's (Meals Refused by Ethiopians). They had me constipated for two days. During the afternoon we practiced our warrior tasks that we were to be tested on the next day. Warrior tasks are basic soldiering skills (reading a compass, shooting an azimuth, combat first aid and casualty assesment, and tactical radio operations.) That night, we repeatred the navigation exercise in a different zone in complete darkness. I'm amazed at what I've learned in only three weeks. The average civilian could not navigate the land like I can now. It's amazing.

Day 2
We began with CNN filming us doing movement under fire exercises. With our chaplain assistant helping us, we had to move, crawl, sprint, and dive to different locations while simulated grenades went off about 20 yards away from us (they were incredibly loud and concussive). We were then tested over our warrior tasks (I passed them all because I'm a super soldier). ;) Then we came to the part of my training I've been dying for:   night infiltration course. We were marched to a deep ditch lined with concrete. We leaned against the incline of the ditch and waited for the word. When told to go we climbed over the ditch and was met by live Ma Deuce (M2 .50cal) live rounds firing over our head. We had to crawl for 80 yards around and under barbed wire and other obstacles. I was gassed at the end.

I'm learning that this training is really about making you into a responsible, thoughtful, and initiative-taking adult. The physical side is hard, but it's the mental and emotional that truly stretches you. This is amazing training. I've already changed quite a bit, can't wait to see what the rest holds in store.

 Early morning chow. When eating in the field, the hood of a humvee makes a great table.

 Soft shell.

 Might as well have been rectal plugs.

 Dress right and cover down...even your gear.


Catching some shut-eye after day land nav. We got back quick so we were waiting on the other squads.

1 comment:

  1. I showed those at the bible study the pictures that you posted on the power point and it struck a 30 minute conversation of all the guys telling their "war" stories. It was interesting to go from James 3 bridling your tongue to openly discussing the MRE nicknames. LOL!!! I love you and can't wait to see you babe!

    ReplyDelete