Thursday, June 30, 2011

Going Home

I assume this will be my last post. I only did this blog so my family could track my progress (or lack thereof!). I go home tomorrow. It's surreal. In one sense, this was no big deal. Six weeks out of the Summer compared to the 12-15 months of combat tours our Soldiers have endured puts my menial service in perspective. On the other hand, this was my very first "real" Army experience/training. I've learned so much about the Army, warrior tasks, and myself. In the past six weeks I've pushed my body, mind, and even soul farther than I ever have before. It's hurt. It's felt great. It's been beneficial.

The Chaplain Candidate Program is designed to help young Soldiers discern whether or not the Army is for them. With this mission in mind, Soldiers that decide this is where they should be and Soldiers that decide this is NOT where they're supposed to be are both right. As long as discernment is accomplished, then the mission is successful. For me, I know this is where God has called me. Not all days were rainbow and lollipops; in fact, some days were awful. The Army teaches one to not tolerate weakness in one's self or others. This process is painful. At the same time, God would consistently give me mini-affirmations throughout the day to remind me that this too shall pass and this is where I am to be.

I love the Army. This is not a propaganda attempt, it's the truth. I love the Chaplain Corps. I love being a Soldier. I love being an officer. This job is NOT for everybody and that's fine. For those of us that are called, we'll gladly stand in the breach and defend the Constitution against all enemies, foreign, and domestic. To God be the glory.


A final cadence to illustrate my point. Typically sang towards the end of a long run when people are beginning to hurt bad.

"Somebody ain't gonna make it!
A weak heart just can't take it!

Somebody ain't gonna make it!
Their weak little bodies can't take it!

Don't let your dog tags dingle in dirt,
Pick up your dog tags and put 'em in your shirt!"

No comments:

Post a Comment