Friday, May 27, 2011

Cadence

Marching is proving to be challenging for me. My facing movements are squared away but I'm having trouble keeping in step. A lot of us non-prior's are. We'll get there. But one way we keep time as well as stay motivated, is by cadences. These songs range from hilarious to extremely vulgar to extremely serious. I've read (I can't remember where) that it was General George Washington that began having his formations sing in order to take their mind off of the grueling task of marching so far in such terrible conditions. Whether this is true or apocryphal I don't know. Either way, here's a great one we sang today (everything said by the Sgt is repeated by the platoon):

"It's alright, it's okay, (repeated, you get the idea)
It's alright it's okay,

Remember JFK,
He paved the way,
He gave his life,
So everyone can say:

It's alright, it's okay,
It's alright, it's okay,


Remember MLK,
He paved the way,
He gave his life,
So everyone can say:

It's alright, it's okay,
It's alright, it's okay (there are many other verses)"

No comments:

Post a Comment