Saturday, May 21, 2011

Rationale

Someone said to me a while back, "I can't believe you joined the Army!" I told them that if they had known me like my family knows me they wouldn't be shocked at all. I've always felt called to the military. When Wesley joined...now THAT was a shock. And I'll be danged if he isn't one of the most squared away soldiers I've ever been around (high speed...low drag). When I was in high school, I couldn't wait to join the service. School bored me to tears. I remember setting in an Air Force recruiter's office with Beth talking about basic training, jobs, etc. I was considering being a heavy equipment operator (I like big loud machines). I was going to do that while I went to school.

That very night I came home and told Pops and Nanny and I saw their countenance visibly fail. I thought they'd be proud! Pride wasn't the issue; they knew something I didn't know. Our DS had told Pops that he was going to offer me an appointment. I prayed on the issue and you know the history. I have zero regrets about waiting. College was cool, but boring. Serving churches was a fantastic experience that's put me far ahead of my classmates. And so I assumed I was set. But I couldn't shake this military thing. I would stay up late at night while Beth was working 3rd shift and the kids were in bed, and I'd watch military movies or YouTube videos about the war. 

For the longest time I was so torn about the whole issue. A voice in my head was telling me that if I went into the military I would be abandoning God and the church. I couldn't do that; both had been too good to me. As I prayed more and more, I began to see that perhaps the reason I couldn't shake the feeling is because it's not a feeling, it's a call. Again, you know the rest of the story.

To change directions, I'm in shock at how hard and simultaneously easy this all has been. The paperwork, physicals, pt, and getting the church ready for my departure has been incredibly difficult. Leaving Beth and the kids tomorrow morning will be a whole other mountain to ascend. I was under the naive assumption that life would pause while I go train. As it turns out, life could give a crap less. I have a whole new appreciation for military families (and I'm just going for training, not war). It's been simultaneously easy because I know I'm doing what God wants me to do. I have no illusions as to how hard or easy the training will be. There will be good and bad days and I know that. But I've been waiting for this for 24 years, how bad can it be? So this is my rationale for joining. Not for glory, pay, or so I can still give Wes orders in adulthood. I joined because God told me to. Here goes nothing.

"I am an American soldier.

I am a warrior and a member of a team.
I serve the people of the United States of America, and I live the Army values.

I will always place the mission first.
I will never accept defeat.
I will never quit.
I will never leave a fallen comrade.

I am disciplined, physically and mentally tough,
trained and proficient in all my warrior tasks and drills.
I always maintain my arms, my equipment, and myself.

I am an expert and a professional.

I stand ready to deploy, engage, and DESTROY 
the enemies of the United States of America in close combat.

I am a guardian of freedom and the American way of life.

I am an American Solider." Hooah

No comments:

Post a Comment