Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Uniforms, uniforms

One of the challenges for brand new Joes is how to properly prepare, wear, and maintain the uniform. The way you wear your uniform is a direct reflection of the pride you take in your country, your Army, and your duty. This is particularly true for officers. Officers are held to a higher standard. Enlisted personnel look to you for direction in many different matters, including uniform matters. I'm at an advantage since I have a brother on Active Duty and a grandfather with years of military experience (even if he was a Jarhead before he saw the light and came over to the real military). Therefore, my uniform is very squared away. This is not true for some others.

A lot of latitude is extended for these new soldiers for the first few days and the first few days only. By day two and possibly day three, they're expected to look sharp. This is essential because we are officers and we're serving on a post that does more Basic Combat Training than any other Army post. This means that there are Privates everywhere. You can't walk three steps without running into a gaggle of Privates that call themselves to attention when you pass by. They look up to us and our uniform reflects our pride in our service. It's good to be in the uniform. I'm at the point where civies don't feel right anymore.

I'm being silly in the picture because I was with a buddy. Notice I have my cover on, we're never covered indoors but I took the picture with my cover so you could see what the uniform should look like.

No comments:

Post a Comment